Council Tax Support for people in receipt of Universal Credit

What is happening to Council Tax Support?


People who are getting Universal Credit  still need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support. All local authorities are reporting a reduced level of take up among people who are in receipt of Universal Credit. It appears that claimants are either assuming their Universal Credit includes an amount for their Council Tax or they believe that the Local Authority are somehow covering the Council Tax for them.

Where claims have not been made they can only be backdated for 1 month. Claimants who get into debt or face court action because of this should seek advice from a debt adviser.





How to make a claim

To claim Council Tax Reduction in Birmingham you should go to the webpage

Or call 0121 464 4700 and ask to do a claim over the phone. This is  called Ebens. The first person you speak to will take basic details and arrange a call back at a time convenient to you.


For people living in Coventry you can make you claim online via the website here

or you can contact the Benefits Service on 024 7683 1800 and you can book an appointment at Broadgate House where staff can help in making a claim.

Both local authorities are currently using a combined Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support form online and will be amending this in future. If you are claiming Universal Credit you shoudl just complete the Council Tax section.

Related Information

Posted in Council Tax Reduction, Universal Credit and tagged , .